"Well-intention," Yet Ignorant?
Week 3

     I sat in a very compelling lecture about racism and discrimination this past week. I was very shocked by how awful I can be unintentionally. I recall many times walking up to a person who appeared Asian and asking them where they are from, followed by "Where are you really from?" I even said once flat out "What Asian are you?" It never occurred to me how insensitive it was. My purpose behind the question was to discover what language they might speak, because I assumed that they would speak the language of their heritage. I have three brothers who together speak Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. I wanted the answer so I could know which brother I needed to get to speak with them. 

     With that background in mind you might see how I was trying to be well-intentioned, but the way I went about it was completely ignorant, and quite rude! In the lecture there were many video clips shown that really helped illustrate to me my lack of social understanding. 

     The first video "What kind of Asian are you?" is a great comedy that also shows a great example of what so many people do. I love the way the lady can turn the conversation. Though it is meant as a laugh it really illustrates the truth behind such interactions. The second video "If Asians said the stuff White people said" helped me see clearing because of the race swap that occurs. By that I mean, we don't recognize all the things we say, until they appear out of context. The third video is more of an informational piece. It still possesses great comedy, but there is a person explaining what microaggressions are.
    The take away I pulled from all the clips shown, was that we as people need to be more aware. The instructor said a microaggression is like "death by a thousand cuts." It is far more detrimental to a person to be attacked in little ways by people who are their friends. These clips and the incredible lecture made me want to improve myself. I want to be more aware of what I say. I don't want to stereotype or be sexist. I don't want to apply blanket statements to situations. I hope this read could help you re-think your perspective and decide to be better. 

     



Comments

Popular posts from this blog